Drop upstart from fedora?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 15:01:38 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 03:35:29PM +0200, Lukáš Nykrýn wrote:
> Jon Ciesla píše v Út 24. 04. 2012 v 07:47 -0500:
> > On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 7:43 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I sounds like Lukáš wants to stop maintaining it, so I'd say the best
> > > solution here would be for him to orphan it. If someone else wants to
> > > see it live on, they can take the package over. Otherwise, it will
> > > eventually get reaped as part of the natural progression.
> >
> > +1
> It is not exactly, that I don't want to maintain it, but we are going to
> drop support for it in initscripts, so there it will be necessary to
> move some scripts to upstart package or some subpackage and I want to be
> sure if it is worth to do it.

The fedora answer is its up to the package maintainer.  sgallagh pointed out
that initng (and other) init systems have been in the distro with their own
sets of scripts for core services.  Generally, if youre using the init
system, you'll choose to continue maintaining the package and create the
scripts for the core services.  If you're not using it personally, it makes
more sense for you to orphan it and someone else who does use it will pick
it up (or no one will if no one who's using it wants to put in the effort).

-Toshio