How can we make F17 be able to boot on Macs (with or without reFit)

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Wed Apr 25 14:25:20 UTC 2012

On 04/24/2012 10:20 PM, John Reiser wrote:
> Choosing the Windows logo gets a VGA-like display (black with white
> character-cell text):
>    1.
>    2.
>    3.
>   Select CD-ROM Boot Type :
> and there is no response to console keyboard.  So FAIL again.

Even though this disc is wrong for that machine, so the test isn't really valid,
it's worth mentioning that *any* time you see this screen, it's a bug in the
CSM - the BIOS emulation layer on top of UEFI is completely failing to comply
with the El Torito standard for CD booting when it sees multiple boot sections
on a CD.  Rather than implementing correct support to select which boot
section to use, this version of the CSM, which is shared among Apple machines
and other vendors' alike, presents all of the choices as a menu instead.

Awesomely the keyboard driver not being present is a /second/ firmware bug. On
some machines it is present, and on those selecting "1" will work and continue
booting as if on a BIOS machine.

Apple have fixed this on newer hardware, but I don't think they've ever pushed
a fix back to this generation.

--
         Peter