Testing packages with mock and Xnest?

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Wed Apr 25 19:44:57 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 14:39 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> Hmm... I think that would be quite a bit more complicated. I don't
> think Xnest would be the right tool for that. I really don't know
> enough about X to guess. I would think that the build server probably
> runs without X and even if it could run some sort of headless X just
> for testing purposes we probably would have to make sure that each
> package building in parallel that needed this feature (however
> unlikely) ran on a different display. What's the limit on the number
> of displays anyway?

Something on the order of 65536 - 6000.

There's a -displayfd feature in our X (and soon in upstream's) to do the
much more sensible thing of simply _picking_ an unused display number
and handing it back to the launching process, rather than the launcher
needing to guess one that's unused.  But in any event Xnest would not be
suitable for this environment, because Xnest needs another server to
display on.  Xvfb would work for fully-automated things though.

- ajax