Proposal for revitalizing the sponsorship process for packaging

Ken Dreyer ktdreyer at ktdreyer.com
Wed Apr 25 22:21:57 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs at math.uh.edu> wrote:
> For a while now I have been working on a proposal for some changes to
> both the way we elevate packagers to sponsors and what (to a small
> extent) sponsors actually do.  Please note that this is not a proposal
> for any changes to how people are made members of the packager group in
> the first place and does not change the privileges of existing sponsors.
>
> My proposal is at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Tibbs/RevitalizingSponsorshipProposal
>
> I've run this by FESCo, whose response was favorable, so I'm sending
> this to a larger audience.  Please let me know what you think.

Looks good to me. I was unaware that sponsors are (currently) also
provenpackagers. I've considered the idea of becoming a sponsor
myself, but when I read the archived tickets where other people
smarter than me have been denied, the barrier to entry seemed too
high. Previously I've just used the "co-maintain to proxy sponsor"
route, which isn't super optimal.

Could you expand a bit on what you consider "high-quality, non-trivial
package reviews" ?

- Ken