Proposal for revitalizing the sponsorship process for packaging

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 22:43:44 UTC 2012

On 04/25/2012 10:03 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> For a while now I have been working on a proposal for some changes to
> both the way we elevate packagers to sponsors and what (to a small
> extent) sponsors actually do.  Please note that this is not a proposal
> for any changes to how people are made members of the packager group in
> the first place and does not change the privileges of existing sponsors.
>
> My proposal is at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Tibbs/RevitalizingSponsorshipProposal
>
> I've run this by FESCo, whose response was favorable, so I'm sending
> this to a larger audience.  Please let me know what you think.

Why not just drop the sponsorship process and just raise the barrier of
entry for the packaging process instead?

Like having to have been a comaintainer for atleast one release cycle
then completed x many reviews in the next etc. ( essentally what you
propose there just without the "sponsor" ) and finally you are
maintaining your own package or if we drop that outdated ownership model
we have in place are free to roam "free" in the packaging community and
assist when ever, where ever possible...

JBG