Proposal for revitalizing the sponsorship process for packaging

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Thu Apr 26 09:17:28 UTC 2012

On 26.4.2012 02:08, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> This approach completely disregards the very common example of "I'm an
> upstream maintainer of a cool project. I want to package and maintain it
> for Fedora." Under your approach, they'd first have to become involved
> in other projects before being allowed to add their package. This is
> unacceptable and would basically guarantee that no upstream would
> willingly involve itself with Fedora.

+1000 and completely -1 on Jóhann's idea: sponsor-sponsee relation in
Fedora always had an element of mentoring. Many packagers-to-be could be
very bright people (like Stephen's author of the upstream package) but
they need just a little bit help to get through intricacies of the
Fedora packaging process.

Matěj