Proposal for revitalizing the sponsorship process for packaging

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 10:19:57 UTC 2012

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 20:08:46 -0400, SG (Stephen) wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 22:43 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> >
> > Why not just drop the sponsorship process and just raise the barrier of
> > entry for the packaging process instead?
> >
> > Like having to have been a comaintainer for atleast one release cycle
> > then completed x many reviews in the next etc. ( essentally what you
> > propose there just without the "sponsor" ) and finally you are
> > maintaining your own package or if we drop that outdated ownership model
> > we have in place are free to roam "free" in the packaging community and
> > assist when ever, where ever possible...
>
> This approach completely disregards the very common example of "I'm an
> upstream maintainer of a cool project. I want to package and maintain it
> for Fedora."

And that sentence continues like "... and maintain it for Fedora, although
I don't use Fedora and don't really want to maintain it there, but just
dump it into the package collection and hope that somebody else will
take over."   In the package review request, the reviewer becomes the one
to tell what must be done, the submitter applies the changes reluctantly,
and either the submitter drops the ball because of lack of interest or
the project is not cool enough for any Fedora packager to join.

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.3.2-8.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.09 0.03 0.05