Proposal for revitalizing the sponsorship process for packaging

Jon Ciesla limburgher at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 12:30:38 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 6:59 AM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/26/2012 01:18 PM, Nelson Marques wrote:
>>
>> No dia 26 de Abril de 2012 01:08, Stephen Gallagher
>> <sgallagh at redhat.com>  escreveu:

>>> This approach completely disregards the very common example of "I'm an
>>> upstream maintainer of a cool project. I want to package and maintain it
>>> for Fedora." Under your approach, they'd first have to become involved
>>> in other projects before being allowed to add their package. This is
>>> unacceptable and would basically guarantee that no upstream would
>>> willingly involve itself with Fedora.
>>
>> I was asked by a upstream to maintain a package for Fedora due to the
>> high demand it has from Fedora users, unfortunatly I backed down from
>> the proposal for several purposes:
>>
> [cut]
>
> Still, besides this sad experience, isn't this the kind of cooperation we
> should encourage? Now and then those great people with great apps want their
> app in Fedora. Instead of saying "Wonderful, welcome", we send them a list
> of an actually quite complicated set of requirements to become a packager.
> But those people don't  want that, they just want their application
> packaged. And although they havn't the packaging skills, they know their
> app. And that's actually a damned good starting point.
>
> What I'm talking about is  to tell these great people that there are two
> ways to get their app packaged. One way is to become a packager, and so far
> this discussion is about that path,. Obviously, the requirements here are
> beyond knowing an app, though.
>
> The other way should be to find, persuade  (bribe?) a packager to take care
> of the package in cooperation with the developer. As I understand it, there
> is no such path today(?)  I think it's a pity, because the cooperation
> between a developer and a packager is actually a good way of doing it.

I've been asked to package things before, by friends, colleagues,
upstream devs, etc.  My response it typically, "Oh, neat, I'd never
heard of that!" <rushes off to make an RPM and submit a review>  I
know we have a wishlist, but I'm not sure it's being used by
non-packagers, or packagers for that matter.

-J

http://cecinestpasunefromage.wordpress.com/