Fedora 18 Release name voting and Poll for whether to continue naming releases

Seg ƃǝS ninjaseg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 07:45:32 UTC 2012

On Apr 20, 2012 5:34 PM, "Matej Cepl" <mcepl at redhat.com> wrote:

>> Well, as far as I can tell, many Ubuntu and Debian users prefer to call
>> their release "by name".
>

> Yes, and I wonder why Fedora users just don't it. Nobody knows why,
either we have too stupid names, or we are too geeky, or something. And I
have to admit, that although my first Debian was potato and I have switched
to Fedora just before etch (and I have no idea, what was the number of
these releases), I have never felt the smallest inclination to call my
first Fedora distro anything else than Fedora Core 6.

No one knows why? There is the obvious effect of inertia from the   fact
that there is a LONG history of referring to releases by version number
going all the way back to Red Hat Linux 2.0 in 1995. (Before that, nearby
holidays were used...) And so far there has been zero PR effort to change
this well established practice. As I remember it, the fact that there even
was a code name was not widely advertised until well into the Fedora
releases.

I'm pretty sure that's the reason.

(User since RHL 5.2, on an Alpha Multia)