Eliminating automatic provides on private libs

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 16:36:56 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:13:47AM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> I'm going to add a switch to allow packages to control the behavior
> anyway. Whether rpm upstream defaults to the traditional behavior for
> compatibility reasons or not is another question, but Fedora is
> obviously free to override that. Given the packaging guideline
> mandate to eliminate private soname provides from packages it seems
> like a no-brainer to disable faked sonames by default, and require
> the handful of special cases to work around it (adding
> enable-switches to specs) instead of adding disable-switches to
> possibly hundreds of packages to cater for the special cases needs.
>
> Thoughts? This would obviously only change in rawhide.
>
> Oh and of course eliminating the faked soname provides does not
> eliminate all unwanted provides, eg libtool adds a soname even when
> -module is used. But ... you need to start someplace.

Will the toggle to turn it on and off work for those libtool generated
modules (as long as there's not public libraries in the same package)?  Is
it possible to turn this on and off per subpackage or is that along the
lines of asking for pretty pink ponies with wings?

Overall seems like a positive change to me.  Let us know the details when
it's changed and we'll add those to the Packaging Guidelines.

-Toshio