BZ718430 - Unknown Horizons

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 17:44:22 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 12:44:01PM -0400, Rich Mattes wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Nelson Marques <nmo.marques at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>      1) How to check who currently maintains those packages;
>

> You can use the fedora pkgdb at https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb.  To get
> into contact with the owners of the packages you can either file bugs against
> the packages, or email packagename-owner at fedoraproject dot org.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/fife
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/enet

PackageDB keeps ownership information per branch (several reasons for this:
the owner may be different between EPEL and Fedora; the owner may want to
orphan a package in Fedora devel but be willing to continue maintaining on
older Fedora releases until they go EOL).

The only difference between an owner and a comaintainer (someone who has all
of the acls on the package) is that the owner is assigned to be the owner in
bugzilla.

>      2) The correct 'modus operandi' to take ownership of those packages;
>

> You generally don't "take ownership" of a package that someone else owns in
> Fedora, except for when the owner expresses an interest in orphaning the
> package and passing ownership along or the owner is non-responsive.  You can,
> however, apply to _co-maintain_ the package.  In this case, you gain rights to
> commit to the git branch and can submit updates for a package.
> Co-maintainership is up to the discretion of the package owner, you can apply
> to co-maintain in the pkgdb (if you are sponsored into the packaging group,)
> but you should speak with the package owner first.

Just one thing to add here.  Comaintainership responsibility can vary
depending on the circumstances.  I have a few packages where a comaintainer
and I talked and he's pretty much doing all the work.  I only work on the
package if there's something time critical or I can contribute a patch to
the code that the comaintainer can't.  Communication is the key to deciding
what each person is going to do.

An additional plus to comaintainership is that FESCo can sponsor you into
the packager group if the package owner is willing to mentor you.  That
allows more people to do package reviews for you.

>      Is this OK? Should I re-open BZ718430?
>

> You should be ok re-opening your review request and continuing the review.  You
> should also reach out to the FIFE maintainer as was suggested in the previous
> thread, especially if you want to co-maintain FIFE (and perhaps he can help you
> maintain UH as well)

A hearty +1 to this.

-Toshio