How can we make F17 be able to boot on Macs (with or without reFit)

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sat Apr 28 15:27:39 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 02:11:06AM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:

> Problem: Flakey reboot and poweroffs. CSM boot and installs were
> lightening fast with previous FC17 builds. EFI boot reboots, after
> executing command, result in a 1-2 minute hang. I can switch consoles,
> but they are unresponsive and provide no information. Presently on the
> MBP4,1 it's been hanging for 8 minutes so I'm going to force it off
> with the power button. File a bug? I don't know what to add or
> include.

I /think/ this is a generic problem somewhere in userspace - I've seen
the same on other machines. I'll try to track it down this week if
nobody else is.

> MacbookPro8,2: Major improvement in that I no longer have a garbled
> display. However either with or without 'nomodeset' it only boots so
> far and then dies: no further activity from USB stick, can't blindly
> get to a console and reboot or dmesg out to another stick; if I attach
> another USB device, no activity from it or the boot USB stick. So I'm
> not sure what's going on.

This is a Radeon? We're doing something wrong in the DisplayPort setup,
and I'm trying to hunt it down - it seems to affect most modern Macs
with Radeons.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org