TextMate 2 open sourced!

Ilyes Gouta ilyes.gouta at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 15:32:16 UTC 2012

Hi,

>> While gedit is nice, it is a GTK+ app. Do we actually have a decent
>> selection of open source text editors for the GNUStep environment? As
>> far as I know, we don't. TextMate would target a different group of
>> people, those who use the NeXTSTEP/GNUStep environment.
>

> Ehm, ... does anybody really care about GNUStep anymore? I mean really ...
> it has absolutely awesome design (persistent objects are cool) but does
> anybody care? In whole bruhaha around Gnome 3, I have never heard anybody to
> say "I hate Gnome 3, so I am switching to GNUStep".

Well, IMHO besides the less is more philosophy (which is good too),
the major risk is clang.

Is Fedora ready to host clang compiled and linked binaries (and libraries)?

Do we also need GNUstep compiled via clang for TextMate to build? Are
clang and GCC binaries inter-operable (when linked against the same
run-time libraries)?

-Ilyes