[HEADS-UP] move eject to util-linux, retire volname

Karel Zak kzak at redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 13:53:36 UTC 2012

 The new util-linux 2.22 release contains eject(1) command, it means
 that we can retire the original eject package (with inactive upstream).

 The small disadvantage is that util-linux does not implement command
 volname(1) from the eject package. The volname returns the volume
 name for a device formatted with an ISO-9660 file system.

 This command duplicate blkid (or findmnt or lsblk) code and
 functionality ... so util-linux upstream does not plan to reimplement
 this command. For Fedora we have two cases:

   1) create tiny package with only volname (volunteers?)

   2) retire volname at all (because it's unnecessary, unmaintained, ...)

 I vote for 2, it does not make sense to maintain volname if we have
 _better_ FS probing code in libblkid and better command line interfaces
 like blkid or lsblk.

 Comments & objections?

    Karel

--