Bad F17 install experiences: CentOS 6.3 vs. F17

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Thu Aug 16 14:31:39 UTC 2012

On 08/16/2012 06:24 AM, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
>> This is an ordinary bug, probably in some X11 driver, perhaps
>> mach64_drv.
>> In practice for the last 2 years, I notice that X11 pays little
>> attention
>> to anything except the "big 3": current Radeon, nVidia, and Intel
>> graphics.
>> "3D" [alpha blending, etc.] has taken developer resources away from
>> any device which is 2D-only (cannot [does not] run Gnome shell.)
>
> It's not true - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ServerKMSDrivers

My experience is that Rage* and non-current Radeon get ignored.
I still use such cards (and current cards, too.)  Radeon 9250 (RV 280,
does not run Gnome3 shell; manufacturer discontinued four years ago)
was *advertised* for $50 on August 3 in major metropolitan newspaper
by Fry's Electronics, a leading US retailer.
I see many such cards still running in desktops.  Because of the
tax accounting rules for US businesses (5-year depreciation on computers),
I expect to see more such cards over the next couple years.

The wiki page says that the ServerKMSDrivers are 100% implemented,
so they should be testable in F-18 Alpha.
However, the wiki page also says "MGA SE or AST" only.
What about a "KMS vesafb"?