Bad F17 install experiences: CentOS 6.3 vs. F17

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Thu Aug 16 16:06:21 UTC 2012

On 08/16/2012 07:52 AM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-08-16 at 07:47 -0700, John Reiser wrote:
>
>> New Radeon 9250 cards [RV280] were advertised by Fry's Electronics on August 3;
>> advantages: $50 cheap, perhaps low profile, perhaps available in AGP.
>> There are thousands of such cards appearing in used equipment channels
>> because of the US tax accounting rules (5-year depreciation on computers.)
>> Yes, Diamond MultiMedia discontinued manufacturing these cards in June 2008.
>> That was only four years ago; the second lifetime has just begun.

> And?

I disagree with the resource allocation decision that RV280 is not worthy
of the attention that is necessary to provide the functionality required by Gnome3.

Now that current Radeon cards work, what would it take to make RV280 work?
How much help can be provided by additional generally-able developers, testers, etc?
Or, is the work too arcane except for experienced veterans?

Meanwhile I am discarding Gnome3 in favor of XFCE.  The fallback mode
of Gnome3 is too buggy and non-functional, sometimes complicated by
toolkits and/or apps that don't accommodate fallback mode.
When teaching a desktop to new Linux adopters, there are too many
exceptional situations that must be explained, where the documentation
disagrees with the reality of fallback mode.