small tip regarding git branch bash prompt in F18/Rawhide

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sat Aug 25 19:05:46 UTC 2012

Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com> writes:

>>> Doing this would break current users that have already configured
>>> their system to use __git_ps1().
>>
>> What are "current users"? Those who installed your just released
>> rawhide changes?
>
> No, it breaks anyone that's currently using __git_ps1(), as the
> function was previously defined in /etc/bash_completion.d/git.  Newer
> releases of bash-completion are moving to on-demand loading,

Why do you mean that Fedora needs to do more than upstream git (--> a
note in the changelog/release notes)?  Or, how is it solved in upstream
git else?

When you really want to go another way than upstream git, than modify
their bash-completion script and source the __git_ps1 function there.
But do not decide for other people that they need __git_ps1.

> If it's simply "I don't like these extra functions being defined",

Beside the broken udisks package which installs its bash-completion
unasked for every user, git-core will be the only package which pollutes
my environemnt in such a massive way.  What makes git-core so special
that it adds 10 extra pages (nearly +200%) to the 'set' output:

$ set | wc -l
137

$ . /tmp/git-prompt.sh

$ set | wc -l
379

Please look what other packages are installing in /etc/profile.d.  This
is not the place for such complex stuff...

> then I'm not persuaded, unless some massive amount of people

How many Fedora git-core users have __git_ps1 in their $PS1?  This is a
very low minority (I am in doubt that it will be more than 100).  But
your change affects *every* git user.

Enrico