rawhide report: 20120825 changes

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Aug 27 16:13:50 UTC 2012

On 8/27/12 9:10 AM, Adam Jackson wrote:

> pangoxft should be a functional replacement, as far as I can tell, and
> the APIs seem to be quite similar.

Actually I'm told pangocairo is the preferred thing instead of pangoxft.
  repoquery agrees:

$ repoquery --whatrequires 'libpangocairo-1.0.so.0()(64bit)' | wc -l
1435
$ repoquery --whatrequires 'libpangoxft-1.0.so.0()(64bit)' | wc -l
11

But again, quite similar APIs.

Many of the broken packages appear to acquire their pangox dependency
through their use of gtkglext, which has gone an irritatingly long time
without an upstream release.  gtkglext's pangox use was removed with
this commit:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtkglext/commit/gdk/x11/Makefile.am?id=df7a7b35b80b395d7ba411c7f727970a46fb0588

But we can't just backport that, because removing those functions is an
ABI break, and those functions are indeed used in some of the affected
packages.  Still, looking into it.

- ajax