prefered way of configuring X11 keyboard layouts in F18

Vratislav Podzimek vpodzime at redhat.com
Mon Dec 3 09:04:03 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-12-03 at 09:20 +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On 12/02/2012 10:57 PM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 12:38 AM, Sérgio Basto <sergio at serjux.com> wrote:
> >> system-config-keyboard should do this:
> >>
> >>       1. Get the old settings: cat /etc/sysconfig/keyboard
> >>       2. Set the new settings: su -c 'localectl set-x11-keymap <layout>
> >>       3. Remove the old configuration file: su -c
> >>          'rm /etc/sysconfig/keyboard'
> >>
> >> or at least warning that we should do something new like this .
> > http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/systemd.git/commit/?h=f18&id=0969ad24898347919865e9298fa01e19cec98649
> > already attempts to do some kind of automatic conversion.  If that is
> > insufficient, please file bugs against systemd.
>
> It seems that the virtual console layout is migrated ok, but the x11
> part is not. This is what I get on my two upgraded F18 boxes:
>
> [root at turre ~]# localectl
>     System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>         VC Keymap: fi
>        X11 Layout: n/a
> [root at turre ~]#
>
> The "n/a" part is the "problem" as it falls back to US keyboard.
> localectl manual says both set-keymap and set-x11-keymap apply to both
> the keymaps unless --no-convert is specified, but that doesn't seem to
> happen in practise:
>
> [root at turre ~]# localectl set-keymap fi
> [root at turre ~]# localectl
>     System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>         VC Keymap: fi
>        X11 Layout: n/a
> [root at turre ~]# localectl set-x11-keymap fi
> [root at turre ~]# localectl
>     System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>         VC Keymap: fi-latin1
>        X11 Layout: fi
> [root at turre ~]# localectl set-keymap fi
> [root at turre ~]# localectl
>     System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>         VC Keymap: fi
>        X11 Layout: fi
>         X11 Model: pc105
>       X11 Options: terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
>
> It's a bit bizarre: set-keymap doesn't seem to find "fi" as the closest
> matching keyboard for x11 (it probably should), set-x11-keymap considers
> "fi-latin1" to be the closest matching keymap for "fi", but in this
> specific order its possible to get both set to "fi". Only it now adds
> additional model + options there, whatever the reason.
>
> 	- Panu -
The "conversion" (as systemd-localed calls it) works really poorly also
for the Czech keymaps/layouts. 'cz' X11 layout is "converted" to
'cz-lat2' which works like 'us' until you hit the "Pause Break" key.
This is really unfortunate especially when people set their LUKS
password in Anaconda with the 'cz' X11 layout activated and then they
are supposed to enter it again with the 'cz-lat2' keymap during boot.

--
Vratislav Podzimek