F18 Beta: Freeze during boot

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Tue Dec 4 17:06:01 UTC 2012

I posted about this a couple of days ago to the test list; but I've gotten no response so I'm fishing here.

I'm not sure if this is a genuine freeze; but I have not managed to elicit a response to keyboard/mouse input.

When booting Fedora 18 Beta, I see this:

> dracut-cmdline[121]: /etc/locale.conf: line1: locale.LANG=en_US.UTF-8: command
> dracut-pre-udev[193]: rpc.idmapd: Could not find group "nfsnobody"

And a whole bunch of these:

> [    2.160931] [drm:intel_dp_i2c_aux_ch] *ERROR* too many retries, giving up

I don't think the latter is related; I'm pretty sure I was seeing it before this problem started and it seemed reasonably innocuous.  (And I think I recall a web search that suggested it may be related to my use of a DisplayPort-to-dual-link DVI adapter.)

I did set up NFS/autofs on the box; and I believe I got it working.  However, it's possible that I started seeing this problem at the first reboot *after* having set up NFS/autofs. (Or maybe the second one?)

Not sure if I should file a bug on this (let alone what component I should file it against).  Whatever I did, I'm inclined to think that failing to boot is not a reasonable thing.

Braden