Detecting soname bumps

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Tue Dec 4 17:51:17 UTC 2012

On 12/04/2012 09:32 AM, Tom Callaway wrote:
> If you're building an update for Fedora, and it has shared libraries or
> versioned provides, look to see if any of the shared library versions
> have changed (or if the versioned provides have changed).

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea in the packaging guidelines to
suggest that people list the shared libraries in the %files section like:

%{_libdir}/libname.so.#*

With the soname version number explicitly listed.  That way packagers would
detect most soname bumps automatically when they do a build.

--
Orion Poplawski
NWRA, Boulder Office                  FAX: 303-415-9702
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com