Default grou membership for new users

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 5 15:31:27 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 03:55:17PM +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> I am looking for a way how to add new users to a certain group upon
> creation. Do we have such a mechanism?
[...]
> /etc/default/useradd only is for useradd and can set a default group,
> but no additional default groups.

I was thinking one could extend shadow-utils so that supplementary groups
are read from that file, but the problem is that you don't _really_ want the
group added to every new user, just to actual human users, and figuring that
out (even by something simple like "when UID > n") adds a layer of
complication and fiddlyness that's probably not welcome.

> The spin owner had a dirty hack that modified
> /usr/share/firstboot/modules/create_user.py, but as the spins wrangler I
> told him  this is a no-go.

What about dropping a new module for audio configuration into firstboot?