features and percentages [was Re: RFC: Feature process improvements]

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 5 19:38:57 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 08:19:15PM +0100, Fabian Deutsch wrote:
> > I like burndown charts. Low overhead, easily read, and generally more
> > concrete than guesses at percentage done. I wonder if there's a way we can
> > easily provide a widget in the wiki for keeping them up to date. This:
> > http://joel.inpointform.net/software-development/burn-down-charts-tutorial-simple-agile-project-tracking/
> > has a decent Google Docs template, but we wouldn't want to make that
> > requirement for our process.
>
> I must say that the Ubuntu folks are distilling their bugzilla
> informations quite well on http://status.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-raring/ . The
> good thing about this solution is, that bugzilla is (AFAIK) used to track
> the progress of a feature - and using bugzilla could be also a doable to
> track our features.

Well, it's their launchpad bug tracker, not bugzilla. It's a great idea,
though. Anyone want to volunteer to write something that extracts data from
our bugzilla and presents it in this format?

One approach: a convention where each feature gets a tracking bug, and then
various tasks can be marked as blocking that. *Then*, each release can have
a tracking bug for accepted features themselves, and the tool to produce the
chart can simply be pointed at that and follow the tree downward.