What would it take to make Software Collections work in Fedora?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 23:09:19 UTC 2012

On 5 December 2012 15:56, Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 15:47 -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> Would that not cause a combinatoric nightmare with having to make sure
>> you had a libX11 compiled against say X number of glibc's or other
>> libraries that changed in the past so that you had the correct path so
>> that SC KDE-4.9 had the correct combination it wants of core stuff and
>> SC GNOME-3.9 had the correct combination for it?
>>
> No you always build against the latest.
>
> But the older rpms are useful if one collection package has
> Requires: foobar = 1.2.3
>
> If then core releases foobar 1.2.4 (which is perfectly ABI compatible
> and all and wouldn;t really cause issues blah blah blahg) and 1.2.3 is
> not also left in the repo the collection becomes uninstallable.

What if 1.2.3 had to be upgraded to 1.2.4 because it was a security
issue or some similar item. At that point the system can be locked
down but not fixed. So either 1.2.3 would need a backported fix or the
SC would need to carry its own fixed version. Or am I missing
something?

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."