What would it take to make Software Collections work in Fedora?

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Thu Dec 6 07:22:53 UTC 2012

On 5. 12. 2012 at 16:50:03, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> > I think this tells us more about puppet than Fedora actually. ;(
>
> I couldn't have said it better than this myself.
>
> The biggest reason people are really pushing for software collections
> (at least from what little I've seen them discussed publicly) is that
> particular programs only work with specific versions of an application
> stack.  I don't know much about Ruby, but it seems to be the prime
> target here -- Puppet only wants to run on one version, and Rails only
> wants to run on another.    I would argue that this is much more
> indicative of a potential problem in the Ruby ecosystem, not of a
> potential problem in Fedora.  Now again, I don't know much about Ruby,
> and maybe I'm missing something key here.  I'm willing to be
> enlightened if I am.
>
> --
> Jared Smith

Well, that might be just one of the reasons why we developed SCL. However
another reason is to provide different version of software than the one that is
a part of base system. For Fedora you might want to use more stable software
for your production environment. OTOH for a stable distribution like RHEL, you
might want to do the exact opposite - have more up-to-date software than the
stable one in your distribution.

It also gives you the option to create your own private package stack parallel
to the one on the system and have the possibility to let them coexist. Of
course this applies to the case when you for some reason (e.g. an evil patch
or something) don't want your version of the software in the Fedora.
--
Thank you
Jan Zeleny

Red Hat Software Engineer