What would it take to make Software Collections work in Fedora?

Mark Bidewell mbidewel at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 15:50:03 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-12-06 at 15:30 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > IMHO use of software collections is a symptom of a badly run organisation
> > not devoting enough cycles to maintain the software it uses, and hoping
> > (as in wishful thinking) no problem will go critical before the product
> > they built on top of those collections is end-of-lifed
> >
> > I completely fail to see how entities with that problem will manage to
> > maintain the package number explosion creating software collections will
> > induce.
>
> On the one hand, I agree completely - I think the 'share all
> dependencies dynamically' model that Linux distros have traditionally
> embraced is the right one, and that we're a strong vector for spreading
> the gospel when it comes to that model, and it'd be a shame to
> compromise that.
>
> On the other hand, we've been proselytizing the Java heretics for over a
> decade now, and the Ruby ones for a while, and neither shows any signs
> of conversion or just plain going away, so we may have to call it an
> ecumenical matter and deal with their models somehow. Sucky as it may
> be. I don't know, I'm a bit conflicted.
> --
> Adam Williamson
> Fedora QA Community Monkey
> IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | identi.ca: adamwfedora
> http://www.happyassassin.net
>
> --

I used to use Fedora as my primary OS (Now I use a Mac).  The major issue
which drove me away and which I believe SC would help to solve is that with
the current dependency model is that it becomes I want a new version of
Libreoffice so now I have to upgrade my entire system from the Kernel on up
(and by upgrade I mean clean install) to avoid issues.  SC would help
decouple system and userland apps which would do wonders for usability.

--
Mark Bidewell
http://www.linkedin.com/in/markbidewell