What would it take to make Software Collections work in Fedora?

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Thu Dec 6 16:29:43 UTC 2012

On 6. 12. 2012 at 11:08:43, Seth Vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2012, Jan Zelený wrote:
> > Well, not exactly, you would still need to upgrade all packages that the
> > new version of Libreoffice depends on and all packages these updated
> > packages depend on and so on ... The only difference is that these
> > updated packages would need to be a part of the collection while keeping
> > the rest of the system intact. However the maintenance burden would be
> > even higher, as maintainers would need to take care of multiple versions
> > of packages in each Fedora.
> >
> > Bottom line, the final effect for user wouldn't be much different from
> > current state of things (in fact it might get even more complicated by
> > the non-trivial way how programs in collections are executed). Therefore
> > this isn't exactly the use case SCLs try solve.
>
> I find it interesting that we've not really named the use case that SCLs
> are trying to solve for. It appears to be for the case of a developer who
> wants to run against a specific version of something (normally a language
> or module for that language)

The original use case for SCLs is to provide a way to deliver newer versions
of SW in stable distributions like RHEL/CentOS than those available in the
core system and make sure system packages and collection packages don't
collide in any way (names, libraries, system paths, ...).

However as sort of a side effect all other use cases emerge (more stable SW in
Fedora, multiple versions of SW, ...).

--
Thank you
Jan Zeleny