What would it take to make Software Collections work in Fedora?

Jared K. Smith jsmith at fedoraproject.org
Thu Dec 6 17:19:39 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Mark Bidewell <mbidewel at gmail.com> wrote:
> I used to use Fedora as my primary OS (Now I use a Mac).  The major issue
> which drove me away and which I believe SC would help to solve is that with
> the current dependency model is that it becomes I want a new version of
> Libreoffice so now I have to upgrade my entire system from the Kernel on up
> (and by upgrade I mean clean install) to avoid issues.  SC would help
> decouple system and userland apps which would do wonders for usability.

While this is fine and dandy, it's not really a problem that Software
Collections was written to solve.  In a nutshell, Software Collections
are primarily used for development software stacks -- imagine being
able to run Perl 5.10, 5.12, and 5.14 all on the same box, or PHP 5.2
and 5.3 and 5.4, or similar for Python, Ruby, Java, etc.  It was never
intended to be a "run any version of any application with another
other version of system tools" type solution.

--
Jared Smith