What would it take to make Software Collections work in Fedora?

Radek Vokal rvokal at redhat.com
Fri Dec 7 13:55:51 UTC 2012

On 12/06/2012 07:00 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-12-05 at 22:25 -0600, Michael Ekstrand wrote:

>>> <heretical>
>>>
>>> Well, then maybe Fedora's too big, and we should move to a model where
>>> Fedora is much smaller, and the grand Fedora universe contains things that
>>> are packaged *for* one or multiple Fedoras.
>>>
>>> </heretical>
>>
>> FWIW (probably not much), I also think this is a great idea.  It feels
>> strange to me that the same thing contains & manages everything from
>> base system (e.g. kernel through core GNOME stack) and add-on apps (say
>> Battle for Wesnoth, to pick a relatively obvious example).
>>
>> Now, there's a bike shed to be painted over where the lines should be drawn.
>
> We could draw them between Core and Extras!

So what if we actually do .. but in a different way - eg. we would
ensure that we have stable API, no feature breakage in a release for a
package that do belong to "core" and allow faster turnaround for
packages in "extras" .. it's not like locking it down as it used to be
but defining more strict rules for certain set of packages.