grub (v1) in f18?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 7 15:26:10 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 10:56:44AM +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> >>I haven't experienced this with F16, F17 or so far F18. What I'm seeing is:
> >>
> >>yum install/update grub gets me grub legacy.
> >>yum install/update grub-efi gets me grub legacy efi.
> >>yum install/update grub2 gets me grub2.
> >>yum install/update grub2-efi gets me grub2 efi.
> >
> >If you have *both* installed, grub2 will want to nuke grub every time an
> >update shows up, IIRC.
>
> Yum and rpm refuse to install packages which are obsoleted by an
> installed package, so you can't really have both. Unless you first
> install grub2 and then grub with 'rpm --nodeps'...

But, it's not just if both installed, is it? The grub2 package obsoletes
grub, and yum follows obsoletes by default in dependency resolution.

Panu, you would know this better than I, so clearly I'm going crazy
somewhere. If you could explain how, I'd appreciate it. :)

Here's on an F17 image booted in a cloud service (so no grub at all
installed initially):

  $ rpm -qa |grep grub
  grubby-8.11-1.fc17.x86_64

(As expected, just grubby; nothing else matches.)

  $ sudo yum install grub
  [...]
  Package grub is obsoleted by grub2, trying to install
  1:grub2-2.0-0.39.fc17.x86_64 instead
  Resolving Dependencies
  --> Running transaction check
  ---> Package grub2.x86_64 1:2.0-0.39.fc17 will be installed
  --> Processing Dependency: grub2-tools = 1:2.0-0.39.fc17 for package:
  --> 1:grub2-2.0-0.39.fc17.x86_64
  [...and so on]

Even "yum install grub-0.97" gets this behavior. Now, I can set
"obsoletes=0" in /etc/yum.conf if I _really_ want to get grub installed, but

  a) I don't actually want to change the default behavior of yum on the final
     image

  b) I don't want users to get messed up if they innocently change that back
     to its default

  c) I'm not even sure how I would go about changing that pre-transaction in
     appliance-creator and other tools