Where are we going? (Not a rant)

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Fri Dec 7 16:59:07 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-12-07 at 16:47 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 12/07/2012 03:51 PM, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > On Fri, 2012-12-07 at 15:40 +0100, Caterpillar wrote:
> >> The unique and most impotant negative feedback I had it when I
> >> upgraded a system from Fedora 14 to 15, that was the upgrade from
> >> Gnome 2 to Gnome 3.
> >> …
> >> Fedora community should test big transitions like Gnome 2->3 for a
> >> longer period of time
> > FWIW if it was running Fedora 14 and the user was content with it, I
> > probably wouldn't have upgraded to Fedora 15. You could have waited 6
> > months and gone straight to Fedora 16. GNOME 3 was a bit better by then.
> >
> > I upgrade my *own* machines fairly aggressively — this box has been
> > running Fedora 18 since August 31st for example. But I don't necessarily
> > upgrade everyone's machine to *every* Fedora release.
>
> I know one *nix gray beard that is still running F9 on his workstation
> because it's setup just the way he likes it and it works for him.
>
> He does not have the time to spare both from work/coding and his
> personal life to spend hours to setup his system or constantly having to
> upgrade/re-install fighting and patching whatever nuance that release
> brings, distracting him from doing actual real work and says that's for
> GNU/Linux kids, he rather spend that time with his grankids.
>
> His upgrade cycle is tied to the life cycle of his hw...

He should have chosen to install RHEL/CentOS/etc... then.

Staying on F9 as a developer is a questionable stance.

Your machine is full of security issues and you could be compromised and
become a proxy to compromise the projects you are working on.

If you choose to stay on an older machine you should at least install an
OS that gets security updates for a lot longer.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York