What would it take to make Software Collections work in Fedora?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 7 17:30:44 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 10:40:13AM -0500, Jon Masters wrote:
> > We could draw them between Core and Extras!
> :) Note that just because we got rid of Core doesn't mean that it was a
> bad idea. Ubuntu even adopted a "Core" of their own a while back. Maybe

The bad idea was the insider-vs-outsider mentality inherent in the way the
split was made. I don't think anyone wants to go back to that, and, the
above joke aside, I think it's clear that we wouldn't draw the line in the
same way, and we would *definitely* have different rules than in those days.

To a lot of people who weren't so close to all that, the name "Fedora Core"
still has good connotations -- I still often meet people who refer to Fedora
as that. I don't know what the balance in the community now is of people who
have that kind of rosy-eyed fondness, people who are new and don't have a
history either way, and people who remember the Dark Times and would be put
off by the name.

> they'll have the same experience we had and get away from that, or maybe
> Linux distributions should ultimately not be in the business of
> providing all+kitchen sink. Speaking only personally, what I want is a
> stable core platform of very limited size against which I can install
> other packages and stacks.

I think we *could* have both. There's no reason that Fedora couldn't make
that stable core platform *and* provide layers above it. In fact, referring
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview?rd=FedoraProject:About#Our_Mission
it seems pretty clear that both levels are in scope.