Grub2

les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 7 19:54:27 UTC 2012

Hi, everyone,
	My name is Les Howell.  I do semiconductor test programs for mainframe
ATE.

	My current issue is with GRUB2.  I am slightly visually impaired due to
glaucoma.  This is important, because setting my system up to use bigger
fonts is vital for me to use it.  The problem I ran into when upgrading
to F17 from F16 is that the font settings do not work the same in Grub
2.  I have worked very hard at finding solutions and using them from our
friend Google and from the forum, but have not yet been successful.  My
issue is therefore of several parts:
	1.  Where can I find a really good manual on Grub2?
	2.  What is the exact process to upgrade the font to say size 18 or so
in Grub2?

	3.  What is the exact process to change the font and color in Grub2.

	I found a solution that seemed to appear redundantly on various places
that suggested the following process:
	A. find the font you want.
	B. use # grub-mkfont inputfontname -o /grub/fonts/fontname
	C. edit /etc/default/grub by adding a line to the new font as:
		GRUB_FONT="/boot/grub2/fonts/fontname"
	D. use # grub-mkcfg

	I did these steps, but no joy.  In addition, the fonts I tried all gave
me errors on one or more of the symbols (19 different fonts, mostly
mono-space or arial for visibility reasons.)
	I know this is not a users forum, but this issue has implications that
need addressing at a much deeper stage.

	It is difficult for me to research this due to the vision problem, and
it is important for me to be able to participate more.

Thank you for your attention.