Where are we going? (Not a rant)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Dec 8 17:32:01 UTC 2012

On Sat, 2012-12-08 at 17:31 +0100, Michael Scherer wrote:

> > In my opinion the vision needs to be changed. It feels like Fedora has turned into
> > Rawhide more than Fedora with 17 and even more so with 18.
>
> You mean like people who are pushing features
> (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MATE-Desktop ) directly on all
> stable releases ( https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/mate-desktop
> ), despites being frowned upon by the policy :
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy#All_other_updates , who
> was part of the vision that the board proposed :
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Stable_release_updates_vision ) ?

In general, adding packages in an update is actually a fairly safe thing
to do, as it's very unlikely to disturb any existing setups unless some
of those packages somehow provide stuff existing packages might depend
on. You have to explicitly install the new packages in order to be in
any way 'affected' by them. I thought the updates policy mentioned this,
but I can't find it any more.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey