Where are we going? (Not a rant)

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Sun Dec 9 17:21:43 UTC 2012

On 12/08/2012 07:52 PM, Rahul wrote:
> On 12/08/2012 01:48 PM, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
>> (my two cents, as someone using Red Hat / Fedora daily since RH5.1, and never stepping up as Fedora packager because too scared by the bureaucracy)
>
> Can you be more specific?  What sort of bureaucracy do you think is avoidable in the current process?  What would it take for you to get started?

I do not have specific suggestions, as I actually do not know the process well,
and even less the motivations behind each steps.

I can only say that at
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_package_collection_maintainers
23 steps are shown under "Becoming a Fedora Package Collection Maintainer".

Some of them are technical and more or less unavoidable (koji, expiring certificates,
scm, bodhi), others are more social (ask a review, introduce, inform upstream,
get sponsorship), finally there is legal stuff (the CLA).

My enthusiasm has never been powerful enough to overcome such an amount
of static friction.
I do not have a bag of packages to add to Fedora, so going through all the
steps just to maintain one rpm or two is costly. I'm sure that after being
"inside" the willingness to do more will raise easily, but the initial
investment appears unjustified.
Replying to random posts on the MLs or contributing patches to random projects
is more appealing (write mail, click send, finished).

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it