Grub2

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 18:06:37 UTC 2012

On 12/09/2012 02:38 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
> Which updates? Grub2 won't get updated if it isn't installed. You'll
> need to update Grub's menu yourself at kernel update time. You can make
> that easier on yourself by maintaining /boot/vmlinuz-cur and
> /boot/vmlinuz-prv symlinks to the two most recent kernels and use the
> symlinks in Grub's menu. I have a boot partition I don't mount as boot,
> and keep a fully self-maintained Grub on it to use instead of all the
> Grubs installed to / partitions.

Actually, grubby in Fedora is still perfectly capable of updating the
old grub.conf.  To set this up, create a symlink:

  # ln -s /boot/grub/grub.conf /etc

And create /etc/sysconfig/kernel:

  # UPDATEDEFAULT specifies if new-kernel-pkg should make
  # new kernels the default
  UPDATEDEFAULT=yes

  # DEFAULTKERNEL specifies the default kernel package type
  DEFAULTKERNEL=kernel

Easy peasy