Where are we going? (Not a rant)

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Sun Dec 9 19:24:52 UTC 2012

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 12:21 AM, Jukka Ruohonen <jruohonen at iki.fi> wrote:

> Quite easy. Ubuntu LTS succeeds where Fedora (and normal Ubuntu) fails.
> Moreover, extending the support cycle to five years was a brilliant move
> from Ubuntu. Red Hat and its derivatives do not really compete in the same
> field.
>
> I too used to use Fedora but the so-called innovation is too demanding to
> keep up with.
>
> - Jukka.

Ubuntu is on the verge of pissing away years of goodwill by

a. Making a bizarre fork of GNOME 3 its default desktop
b. Integrating an app store, a music store and Amazon search into said desktop
c. Releasing a 12.10 that just barely functioned on some configurations.

They've also been slowly backing away from their commitments over the
years. They used to ship free install media; they don't any more.
They've even got a $16 "suggested donation" form on their download
page. I have no confidence that the 10.04 LTS support will be there
now that there's a 12.04 LTS.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism Publishers
Workbench: http://znmeb.github.com/Computational-Journalism-Publishers-Workbench/

How the Hell can the lion sleep with all those people singing "A weem
oh way!" at the top of their lungs?