Am I the only one who missed the election?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Dec 10 16:31:37 UTC 2012

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 17:02:46 +0100
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Did anyone claim that? - No.
>
> Years ago I've suggested creating a list where to address all
> contributors. One list that would be mandatory to subscribe to.
> Not multiple lists.

I fear that has a number of problems:

a) people HATE having to opt-out of something like that. They much
prefer opt in.

b) a large number of people would opt out.

c) how do you define 'contributor' ?

> Examining the list archives of devel-announce (which packagers MUST be
> subscribed to) and comparing with announce, the purpose of these lists
> does not become clear.

Perhaps whatever says "as a packager you must subscribe to
devel-announce" should be amended to also include announce.

> For example:
>
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/announce/2012-October/date.html
>  -> two announcements about Changes to the Packaging Guidelines
>
> That's a very specific topic for the "Announcements related to the
> Fedora Project" list, isn't it?
>
> The same posts have been sent to devel-announce, too. Should they
> have been posted *only* to devel-announce perhaps? What is the target
> group of "announce" list?

I agree, those emails should go to only devel-announce.

> On the contrary, "Smolt retirement" has been sent to announce list
> only, but not to devel-announce.

That was of general note to all Fedora folks, not specifically to
developers.

> Same for "FAS update".

Many parts of the project use fas, not just package maintainers.

>  It's strange
> that subscribing to the mandatory list, devel-announce, is
> insufficient. And e.g. Fedora Users, who subscribed to "announce"
> would receive announcements related to packaging guidelines.

I'd say you should be subscribed to both.

kevin