requirement to (re)format volumes when installing

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 11 00:38:23 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-10 15:56 (GMT-0800) Adam Williamson composed:

> Windows is very keen on formatting disks, or at least was last time I
> checked it.

Lately?

>  You had to go into an advanced dialog to do anything other
> than let it have its way with an entire disk.

Not that I can remember seeing.

I always partition prior to installing anything.

As a consequence, whenever I boot WinXP install CD, without any action on my
part beyond accepting license and answering are you sure, it presents me a
list of partitions, and waits on me to select one to be the installation
target. After I select, it presents a list that includes:

do not format
format FAT
format NTFS

This simplicity is what one gets from Mageia via readonly=1, and what I
expect from other installers.

The only "its way" I encounter happens when I forget to set a "C:" primary
"active" before booting the XP installation CD, whereupon it does so "for" me
sometime before it finishes. From what I know from mailing lists, forums, and
conversations over more than a decade, "its way" also includes replacing the
MBR code if it finds non-legacy code there, e.g. Grub. When Grub has been
installed to a primary partition instead of MBR, it leaves Grub untouched,
and the only post-Windows installation "repair" necessary to restore active
status to the partition carrying the master bootloader, if desired.

I installed Win8 beta once on a multiboot system with far more native Linux
partitions than Windows or DOS native. It did nothing that required me to fix
anything afterward, other than removing it after I discovered how its new UI
doesn't work, and restoring C: to its pre-installation state to get access to
XP's D: back.

"Its way" more appropriately describes what Grub does to a HDs first sectors
if not aptly constrained.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/