Can systemd/PrivateTmp bug 851970 be fixed for F17?

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Thu Dec 13 21:52:54 UTC 2012

I just spent too many hours re-triaging and re-discovering bug 851970, in which systemd + PrivateTmp does weird things with namespaces, thereby making it impossible to unmount filesystems under certain circumstances.

851970 was closed NEXTRELEASE, because:

>> Michal - is there any reason why the fix mentioned in comment #5 can't be
>> pulled back?

> The reason is simple. I do not understand well enough how the filesystem
> namespace stuff works, so I am afraid of backporting the patches that touch it.

Ok, so, Lennart?  Our current Fedora has a borken systemd.  Can you please help fix it?

If not, I'd propose removing PrivateTmp=true from all F17 services as a workaround, and/or
ignoring it in systemd so this doesn't crop up again.

Thanks,
-Eric