Why is not enabled TapButton of touchpad on Fedora by default?

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu Dec 13 23:28:35 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:26:14PM +0000, Sérgio Basto wrote:
> On Sex, 2012-09-21 at 01:14 +1000, Peter Hutterer wrote:

> > > For xorg.conf.d snippets, use this section instead:
> > >
> > > Section "InputClass"
> > >    Identifier "Enable touchpad tapping"
> > >    MatchDriver "synaptics"
> > >    Option "TapButton" "1"
> > > EndSection
> >
> > I forgot, this is also described here:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Input_device_configuration#Example:_Tap-to-click
>
> Seeing
> cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-system-setup-keyboard.conf
> # This file is autogenerated by system-setup-keyboard. Any
> # modifications will be lost.

this file is deprecated and should've been removed in the F17 cycle by
systemd-localed. if it's still there, you can remove it.

> I remembered that Fedora also could make system-config-synaptics like
> others system-configs .

touchpad settings are generally quite user-specific. while IMO it's
reasonable to have a system-wide default keyboard layout that is non-US we
don't need the same for synaptics. the driver will come up with defaults and
the touchpad will be usable. for real configuration (e.g. scroll methods)
the desktop environment should provide a way to configure it on a per-user
basis.

> and command system-setup-keyboard is not present in F18, we got
> localectl set-x11-keymap [1].

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Input_device_configuration .

updated, thanks.

> And system-config-keyboard ?

> [1] as wrote in other email:
> > 3. Overwrite /etc/sysconfig/keyboard with following content:
> >
> > # This file is obsolete and may be removed, its settings
> >
> > # were migrated on <date> by running:
> >
> > # localectl set-x11-keymap....

this is something you should probably file a systemd bug for.

Cheers,
   Peter