fltk

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 16:23:18 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> In some cases you can get DSO linking errors when you don't explicitly link
> to those other packages. People building from source might not care, but
> this can cause problems for official builds.

Can you elaborate on this or point me to where I can learn more?  That
is absolutely counter to my understanding.

Consider: What happens if   you have libfoo 1.0.0  which itself uses
-lbar ...  and later upgrade your system to libfoo 1.0.1 which itself
is -lbar -lm (and is API/ABI and functionally identical).  If I
understand you correctly you're saying that now random -lfoo users
which themselves make no use of -lm will now randomly fail.  I believe
this is incorrect and would be a terrible problem if it were true.

AFAIK, you should only link your actual direct dependencies. If they
have their own dependencies the dynamic linker will handle it, and
anything else leads to madness. Am I full of it?