prefered way of configuring X11 keyboard layouts in F18

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Dec 19 21:57:41 UTC 2012

On Mon, 03.12.12 10:04, Vratislav Podzimek (vpodzime at redhat.com) wrote:

> The "conversion" (as systemd-localed calls it) works really poorly also
> for the Czech keymaps/layouts. 'cz' X11 layout is "converted" to
> 'cz-lat2' which works like 'us' until you hit the "Pause Break" key.
> This is really unfortunate especially when people set their LUKS
> password in Anaconda with the 'cz' X11 layout activated and then they
> are supposed to enter it again with the 'cz-lat2' keymap during boot.

This mapping is based on /usr/share/systemd/kbd-model-map btw which we
stole from anaconda (or was it s-s-k?). When converting a console kbd
map to an X11 kdb map timedated/timedatectl will go through the list and
take the first line that matches. If we go the other way, then we will
look for the line where the most components match and if multiple lines
apply equally well, then we pick the earliest one.

So the general rule is: pick the best matching choice, and if in doubt
take the earlier one.

We are happy to take patches for this database file, to improve the
mapping. Please send git patches to the systemd ML.

Thanks,

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.