Summary/Minutes for today's FESCo meeting (2012-12-19)

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Thu Dec 20 01:54:57 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 11:56:36PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Yuck! I really don't see why we should be granting this type of exceptions.
> libexec and share exist for a reason. Helper binaries need to be in libexec,
> unit files in share, I think allowing systemd to dump everything (and in
> particular 64-bit stuff) to lib is setting a horrible precedent.

Unit files need to be in /, so moving them would either require creating
a /share for distributions that haven't merged /usr or putting up with
inconsistent naming between distributions. Consistency is a virtue and
the chances of getting anyone else to accept /share are minimal, so /lib
it is. Meanwhile, libexec's not part of any non-draft version of the FHS
and doesn't exist on most other distributions, and the path of the
helper binaries has ended up in a bunch of unit files. So, similar
problems.

What benefit do you see in modifying systemd?

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org