Why samba-client not installed by default?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Dec 20 02:15:10 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-12-19 at 12:16 -0500, Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:

> > Perhaps there's a way to support SMB printing without 39MB of
> > additional disk usage?
> >
> > Richard
> Alternatively, maybe the dialog that searches for network printers can
> offer the option to install the necessary packages when first loaded, if
> the user has a way to indicate that their particular network printer was
> not found.  More work, possibly the best compromise.  I imagine this
> behaving in much the same was as searching for and installing drivers
> for printers would within the very same user-facing application.

Yes, this. I've always wondered why we don't take advantage of this
possibility more. Part of the point of PackageKit is that it provides a
handy API for apps to do this: conditionally require the installation of
some package or other. It could be used for several 'hardware
enablement' cases besides this one, but we always just seem to think in
limited 'either make it a hard RPM dependency or ignore it' terms.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey