Why samba-client not installed by default?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Dec 20 17:40:22 UTC 2012

Le Mer 19 décembre 2012 20:46, Reindl Harald a écrit :

> Am 19.12.2012 20:26, schrieb Chris Murphy:
>>
>> On Dec 19, 2012, at 12:05 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> and i would file a bug if something pulls samba-client as
>>> dependency - there are still WAY too much useless dependencies
>>> like colord and i refuse to accept more of them!
>>
>> If you have a b&w display and only b&w printers, then colord would
>> still enable something useful. But I suspect you have at least one color
>> display
>
> and if you would have rears you would be a car
>
> the point is that optional features should never be a hard
> dependency - as example the colord crap pulls X11 deps on
> servers because you install Imagemagick which is a COMMANDLINE
> tool in the first front

That only means the GUI parts of colord should be dissociated from the CLI
bits, since if you're installing imagemagick you're manipulating images
which does need correct colorspace handling even if image display is
deferred to somewhere else.

And even on headless servers, ability to launch gui tools remotely is
convenient.

--
Nicolas Mailhot