Summary/Minutes for today's FESCo meeting (2012-12-19)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 20:02:22 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 02:28:48PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 01:54:57AM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 11:56:36PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> >
> > > Yuck! I really don't see why we should be granting this type of exceptions.
> > > libexec and share exist for a reason. Helper binaries need to be in libexec,
> > > unit files in share, I think allowing systemd to dump everything (and in
> > > particular 64-bit stuff) to lib is setting a horrible precedent.
> >
> > Unit files need to be in /, so moving them would either require creating
> > a /share for distributions that haven't merged /usr or putting up with
> > inconsistent naming between distributions. Consistency is a virtue and
> > the chances of getting anyone else to accept /share are minimal, so /lib
> > it is. Meanwhile, libexec's not part of any non-draft version of the FHS
> > and doesn't exist on most other distributions, and the path of the
> > helper binaries has ended up in a bunch of unit files. So, similar
> > problems.
> >
> > What benefit do you see in modifying systemd?
>
> Can someone summarise the trac ticket:
>
>   https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/158
>
> and the above reply, because none of it seems to make much sense to me.

The effect of this is:

FPC will write into the Guidelines (probably where libexec is mentioned
since that's where the note about being able to use %{_libdir} as an
alternative to %{_libexecdir} is ) that the systemd helper binaries and
unitfiles have been granted a special exception to install into
%{_prefix}/lib instead of %{_libdir}.

This should mean that nothing changes in the systemd packages or in packages
which provide unitfiles.  They are already installing into those locations.

-Toshio