ImageMagick dependency chain [Re: Why samba-client not installed by default?]

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Dec 20 21:47:03 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 04:08:27PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Anyway, it is true that there is some dep chain from installing ImageMagick
> on a bare server which brings in colord, libX11, libwayland-client and
> -server, and more. However, I don't think colord is to blame -- it just adds
> color-filesystem, lcms2, libgudev1m, libgusbm, libusbx, and
> shared-color-profiles -- all to be expected. (And polkit + js, which was
> already installed on this system but technically didn't "need" to be, for
> whatever value of need.)

mesa-libEGL is required by cairo, and that pulls in Wayland.

ImageMagick itself pulls in a bunch of stuff directly, including X11 libs,
which makes sense because it includes utilities which are X clients.
Possibly the chain could be broken by packinging some utilities like
`display` separately, but, I think it'd actually be a lot of work, because I
note that for example `convert` is linked against the same stuff. (I thought
for a second that they were hardlinked versions of the same binary, but
apparently not.)

So there's a project for someone with a lot of extra energy. But I don't
think it's really something we can solve at the Fedora level -- we're just
packaging it like it is.

(Also, note that largely-compatible fork GraphicsMagic happens to have a
much smaller dependency chain -- it pulls in X libraries, non-surprising
graphics libs, and some fontconfig stuff, but overall about a tenth of what
ImageMagick does.)