Summary/Minutes for today's FESCo meeting (2012-12-19)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 00:05:36 UTC 2012

On Dec 20, 2012 3:16 PM, "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 12:02:22PM -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > The effect of this is:
> >
> > FPC will write into the Guidelines (probably where libexec is mentioned
> > since that's where the note about being able to use %{_libdir} as an
> > alternative to %{_libexecdir} is ) that the systemd helper binaries and
> > unitfiles have been granted a special exception to install into
> > %{_prefix}/lib instead of %{_libdir}.
> >
> > This should mean that nothing changes in the systemd packages or in
packages
> > which provide unitfiles.  They are already installing into those
locations.

> Thanks, but I think the bit I'm mising is why can't systemd use
> libexec?  (Apart from their declaration that libexec is wrong or not
> the de-facto standard they themselves made up, which is not a reason).

There is no reason they could not use libexec for the helper binaries.

As I said in the meeting, libexec is somewhat of a red herring here.  The
packaging guidelines already allow substituting subdirs of %_libdir for
%_libexecdir.  What's in question is being able to use /usr/lib for arch
specific 64bit binaries on 64 bit multilib enabled boxes.

Since helper binaries are not going to have two versions for multilib this
portion of the exception follows naturally from the decision that non
multilib packages can be given exceptions to use /usr/lib even on x86_64.

> Also Matthew said "Unit files need to be in /", but libexec is in "/",
> unless the whole UsrMove thing was pointless.

Unit files won't go in libexec.  They'd go in _libdir or in _datadir
ordinarily depending on whether they're arch-specific or arch independent
data.  This Matt not speak to your objection but I felt it's a
clarification that needed making.

-Toshio

http://people.redhat.com/~rjones