Summary/Minutes for today's FESCo meeting (2012-12-19)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Dec 21 03:05:20 UTC 2012

> A systemd-specific exception works for systemd, fine, but it doesn't
> really seem to address the root problem.

To further elaborate: the 'root problem', it seems to me, is that this
'Fedoraism' as Lennart calls it results in one of two things:

1) we have to carry downstream patches or spec file stuff to relocate
things to /usr/libexec (and, possibly, tell other things that those
things have been relocated) - which is against
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Staying_close_to_upstream_projects

or:

2) we have to pressure upstream projects to needlessly complicate their
code and buildsystem with stuff like $libexecdir variables in their
autofoo, which resolve to /usr/libexec on Fedora/RHEL but just /usr/lib
or something on other distros - which is kind of an imposition on
upstreams

All this for the rather questionable benefit of having a specifically
defined place for helper-scripts-not-meant-to-be-executed-directly,
which gains us...what, exactly, over just putting them
in /usr/lib/(appname) or /usr/share/(appname) or whatever? I don't see
that libexec is actually giving us some kind of huge win to justify the
inconveniences.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey